Skip to Content

Financial Assistance

Submitting Tuition Assistance Documentation

Important: Any Tuition Assistance applied to your University account will not be automatically applied to your extension course tuition

If you want to use Tuition Assistance, please complete the Extension Tuition Assistance Request Form.

Tuition Assistance: Waivers, Exemptions, and Third-Party Billing

If you have forwarded Tuition Assistance documentation to Texas State University - Student Business Services or have Tuition Assistance documentation covering all or part of your Extension course tuition, the Office of Distance and Extended Learning (ODEL) must also receive this documentation (use the Extension Tuition Assistance Request Form), so your Tuition Assistance can be applied to your Extension course charges and in accordance with the university's policies. Be sure to declare Tuition Assistance to ODEL, as any remaining balances may cause your registration to be dropped, and may incur further charges or delays.

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Federal financial aid and Pell Grant programs require that students be enrolled in programs leading to a degree or some other educational credential to be eligible for financial aid. Students enrolled solely in extension studies courses may not be eligible. Please contact the Texas State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for more information. Extension courses are considered part of your course load for the purpose of determining eligibility for the amount of federal financial aid received by Texas State students. If you have questions regarding financial aid and scholarships, contact the Texas State Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships at 512.245.2315.

Note: Students interested in a Study-in-America program should begin investigating the funding options as soon as possible. These options may include grants, personal savings, scholarships and loans.

Waivers and Exemptions

Completed tuition waiver or exemption request forms and any required documentation must be received in the Office of Distance and Extended Learning no later than the twelfth class date of the fall and spring semesters, and the fourth class date of the summer semester. Requests received after those dates cannot be honored.

For additional information on the University's policy on tuition waivers and exemptions, see the Tuition Waivers and Exemptions page on the Student Business Services website. For additional financial aid and tuition adjustment information, see the Payment Methods page on the Student Business Services website.

Important notice: Beginning with registration for summer 2015, the Office of Distance and Extended Learning can no longer apply tuition waivers or exemptions to extension courses.

Employee Assistance

Many companies or agencies offer employee assistance for college courses. Employees should contact the appropriate human resources department for information. Employees who work for a company or agency that has agreed to pay for enrollment in an extension course should present, along with their extension course application, a letter, purchase order, or voucher from their employer stating the amounts (including fees and/or tuition) that the company will cover. The Office of Distance and Extended Learning will invoice the company after the student application has been processed.

Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan (Texas Tomorrow Fund)

The Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan (formerly the Texas Tomorrow Fund) is a prepaid college tuition program that locks in the cost of tomorrow's college tuition and required fees at today's prices. Anyone may purchase a Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan contract, but either the parent/guardian or the beneficiary must be a Texas resident. To find out more about the Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan, visit If you are the beneficiary of a Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan contract, you may use these funds toward extension studies. Be sure to submit a copy of your Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan ID card with your completed application form.

Notice: Hazlewood Exemption for Extension No Longer Available

Effective September 1, 2015, the 50% tuition exemption for Hazlewood is no longer available for extension courses.

Information and Assistance

For additional information or assistance, please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning at, 800-511-8656, or 512-245-2322.