Skip to Content

Study-in-America Application

Attention Non-Texas Residents

Due to Department of Education regulations, we are limited in the enrollments we are able to accept from students residing in states outside Texas. Please contact the Office of Distance and Extended Learning at 512.245.2322 or via e-mail at before submitting your enrollment application to confirm that you reside in a state from which we have authorization to enroll you in our program. A list of states we are currently able to accept enrollments from can be found on the Distance and Extended Learning Web site.

Residency Status

If you have a Texas State ID, your residency status has been established. For new students, residency status, as determined by the university, will automatically defer to “Non-Resident”. This does not affect the fees charged for your extension course. If an applicant or student is classified as a non-resident and wishes to be considered for reclassification as a resident, you should complete the residency paperwork through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Email Address

Please note that when your application is approved, you will be issued a Texas State University student email account.  The Texas State University email account is the official channel of communication between you and the Office of Distance & Extended Learning.  It is your responsibility to periodically monitor your student email account and be aware of the information sent by our office.  Additional information will be provided to you once your application has been approved.

Date of Birth
Classification *


If your course requires a prerequisite, you will be required to submit an official transcript. Official transcripts should be mailed to the Office of Distance & Extended Learning, 601 University Drive, San Marcos, TX  78666.  Texas State academic departments will determine if the course satisfies the prerequisite requirement.


If you have a hold on your account, it will prevent you from being able to register.

You can check for holds on the Registrar's Web site.


We recommend you contact your advising center to ensure courses satisfy your educational goals.


Suspension from any college or university may prevent you from being able to register.

Are you presently on suspension from any college or university? *

Texas Success Initiative (TSIP)

All Texas residents taking courses for credit must be compliant with Texas Success Initiative requirements.  If you are not a Texas State student, but are a Texas resident, please scan and attach (below), or mail evidence of Texas Success Initiative compliance along with this application.  Compliance can be verified with an unofficial transcript showing a conferred degree or college credit earned prior to Fall 1989, or qualifying SAT/ACT, TAKS, THEA, or approved alternative test scores.  Students from private institutions need a copy of their latest semester transcript or grade report, or a letter of good standing from their university.  If you are unsure about these guidelines, contact the university's Texas Success Initiative Program at 512.245.3942.

Are you exempt from the required assessment? *
Have you taken the required assessment? *

Tuition Assistance: Third-Party Billing

If you will not be paying for your extension course(s) because of third-party billing such as your employer, Chapter 33, or Texas Tomorrow Fund, please attach documentation.

Meningitis Vaccination

As of January 1, 2012, Texas law requires all new college students under 30 years of age to be inmmunized against bacterial meningitis before they enroll in an institution of higher education.  State law mandates that first-time college students, students transferring from another institution, and students who are re-enrolling following a break of at least one fall or spring semester be inoculated against the illness.  A hold is automatically applied to all students' records, and the hold remains for students who do not satisfy the requirements of this regulation.  If you have this hold on your record, you will be unable to register for classes without first providing proof of vaccination, exemption, or a waiver.

Are you exempt from the vaccination because of your age or previous enrollment status?
Have you received the required meningitis vaccination? *

If you answered yes, but have not provided documentation online through Magnus, you can do so at  Once you provide documentation, your hold will be lifted.

If you are enrolling only in an online extension course or program with no face-to-face component, you are exempt from the required vaccination, but will need to complete a waiver, available through the Office of Distance and Extended Learning.

Your hold will be automatically lifted if you qualify for these exemptions.

Extension Credit Courses Policies

Extension credit courses are administered through the Office of Distance and Extended Learning.

The following important policies govern extension credit courses.  Failure to follow the policies and procedures for dropping an extension course may result in a reduction of your GPA due to an "F" being assigned.

1.  Drop Refund - Refunds for a dropped extension course are given according to university policy for regular university courses on campus.  Refer to the Registrar's website for more information.

2.  Enrollment in an extension course does not constitute official admission into the university, and non-Texas State students may take extension courses.

3.  Students on active suspension from Texas State are ineligible for extension credit.

4.  Full-time students at Texas State who will have a course overload if they take extension courses must seek the permission of an approved advisor from the appropriate college within the university.

5.  Students from other institutions who wish to transfer extension credit should obtain the approval of their home institution prior to enrolling.

6.  Students may enroll in an extension course for Audit only with prior approval from the instructor and if space is available.  Payment is required in full for Audit only enrollments.

7.  Transcript records are maintained for all credit earned by extension.

8.  A maximum of 30 semester hours for Texas State credit may be completed through a combination of correspondence and extension courses.

9.  Once a registration form has been submitted, no changes can be made to the college credit request.

10.  The completion of this application does not guarantee enrollment in the class.  The following are required for official enrollment:

  • One completed Extension Course Application per course
  • Completed tuition waiver/exemption request forms must be received by the Office of Distance and Extended Learning no later than the twelfth class day for fall and spring semesters, and the fourth class day for summer semesters (if applicable).
  • Verificatin of TSIP compliance (if applicable)
  • Proof of meningitis vaccination or exemption (if applicable)

11.  Enrollment in an extension course will be accepted up to and including the final day for schedule changes as listed in the Schedule of Classes.  Check the Schedule of Classes for this date.

12.  Students are responsible for ascertaining whether or not (a) credit for an extension course will apply to a particular program, and (b) credit for an extension course will transfer to another educational institution.


Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

FERPA protects the privacy of the student education records and guarantees students' access to their own records.  In order for the Office of Distance and Extended Learning to release or discuss a student's academic record with a specified third party a Grant Access Student's Record Form must be on file with the University. Go to FERPA : Office of the University Registrar : Texas State University ( to fill out the form. Complete the form and upload.

Academic Honesty *
Adherence to Policies and Procedures *

Disability Statement

If you have a disability and require special accommodations taking the course/s and/or exam/s, contact the Office of Disability Services, Room 5-5.1 LBJ Student Center, or 512.245.3451 (Voice TTY).